Home Economics is a field of study and a profession that draws from a range of disciplines to achieve optimal and sustainable living for individuals, families and communities. The central focus of home economics education is the well-being of people. It is about becoming independent, connecting with others and taking action towards preferred futures that support individual and family well-being. Through home economics education, students become empowered, active and informed members of society.
These main areas of study including in Bachelors of home economics are food and nutrition, clothing and clothing construction, housing (including interior planning and design), resource management and family interaction. Home Economics is a field of formal study including such topics as interior design, home furnishing, cleaning, handicrafts, sewing, clothing and textiles, commercial cooking, home cooking, nutrition, food preservation, hygiene, child development, managing money and family relationships.
GIFT University, a premier educational institution, offers BS (Hons) Home Economics, a 4 year program, with specialization in Food & Nutrition.
The main objectives of Home economics are:
- To help students to prepare themselves for home and family living.
- To apply knowledge of science and humanities.
- To integrate and apply knowledge from all areas of Home Economics.
- To create awareness of research for professional development.
- To prepare students for career and profession in food and nutrition field.
Program Learning Outcomes:
The main objectives of Home Economics are:
- To understand and apply the practice of food hygiene, food preservation and professional cooking.
- Enhance their creativity and skills employed in meal presentation.
- To develop skills to carry out the various steps in nutrition education and counselling process.
- To develop advanced understanding of the role of nutrients in prevention of deficiency and chronic diseases.
The department is equipped with the following state of the art fully air conditioned kitchen and laboratories, which are professionally designed to perform different tasks.
Food & Nutrition Lab:
TThe laboratory is equipped with state of the art kitchen and classroom. Various components of cooking, baking and hygiene studies are carried out on latest equipments. The lab is equipped with latest tools to perform various nutrition practical.
Art & Design Lab:
Drawing, design elements, fashion sketching & illustration assignments are carried out in Design Laboratory.
Textile & Clothing Lab:
Pattern making, cutting, sewing, fabric dyeing, printing and textile developments are carried out in Textile Laboratory.
Interior Design Lab:
The laboratory equipped with modern facilities to exercise the technical and aesthetics concepts of interior design.
Equipped with sophisticated computer hardware to carry-out multiple Computer Aided Design (CAD) task, including Adobe Photoshop and Corel Draw.
- Applicants who have passed intermediate or equivalent examination with one or more home economics subjects.
- Applicants who have passed intermediate or equivalent examination with science subjects (e.g. Pre-Medical).
- The minimum aggregate marks for all above are 45%.
- Students will be admissible in 5th semester of the program with degrees of AD Home Economics, and Bachelor of Science (Botany, Zoology or Home Economics).
- Relevant level NTS test is also acceptable for admission.
|Total Duration||4 Years|
Total Credit Hours