Students of BS Home Economics (Interior Design) can explore their utility as:
- Interior designer in furnishing industry
- Furniture designer.
- Interior designer in media houses.
- Space planner in event management companies.
- Exhibition designer.
The main objectives of Home economics are:
- To help students prepare themselves for home and family living.
- To apply knowledge of science and humanities.
- To integrate and apply knowledge from all areas of home economics.
- To create awareness of research for professional development.
- To prepare students for career and profession in different areas of home economics.
- Demonstrate the application of principles of art and design by using skills, techniques and materials related to drawing, painting, printmaking and ceramics.
- Apply the concept of 2D, 3D and colours in interior design projects by proposing space planning, interior finishes and material, furniture and fixtures as per user’s needs.
Home economics is a field of study and a profession that draws from a range of disciplines to achieve optimal and sustainable living for individuals, families and communities. The central focus of home economics education is the well-being of people. It is about becoming independent, connecting with others and taking action towards preferred futures that support individual and family well-being.
These main areas of study included in Bachelors of Home Economics are food and nutrition, clothing and clothing construction, housing (including interior planning and design), resource management and family interaction. Home economics is a field of formal study including such topics as interior design, home furnishing, cleaning, handicrafts, sewing, clothing and textiles, commercial cooking, home cooking, nutrition, food preservation, hygiene, child development, managing money and family relationships.
GIFT University, a premier educational institution, offers BS (Hons) Home Economics, a 4 year program, with specialization in Interior Design.
Minimum Eligibility Criteria:
The University welcomes applications from students who have successfully Completed up to Grade 12 schooling. The more specific criteria follows:
- Intermediate with Arts or General Science or Commerce.
- Advanced Levels (A’ Levels).
- Minimum 45% or equivalent marks in intermediate or equivalent qualification.
- Any other equivalent grade 12 degree approved by the Ministry of Education.
- Applicants with BA in Home Economics will be admitted to the 5th (bridging) semester of the program.
- Applicants with AD Home Economics will be admitted to the 5th semester of the program.
- Relevant level NTS test is also acceptable for admissions.