Home Economics is a field of study and a profession that draws from a range of disciplines to achieve optimal and sustainable living for individuals, families and communities. The central focus of home economics education is the wellbeing of people. It is about becoming independent, connecting with others and taking action towards preferred futures that support individual and family wellbeing.
These main areas of study including in Bachelors of Home Economics are food and nutrition, clothing and clothing construction, housing (including interior planning and design), resource management, and family interaction. Home Economics is a field of formal study including such topics as interior design, home furnishing, cleaning, handicrafts, sewing, clothing and textiles, Commercial cooking, cooking, nutrition, food preservation, hygiene, child development, managing money, and family relationships.
GIFT University, a premier educational institution, offers Undergraduate Degree in Home Economics, BS (Hons) Home Economics, 4 Years program, with specialization in Interior Design.
The main objectives of the programs are:
- To help students to prepare themselves for home and family living.
- To apply knowledge of science and humanities.
- To integrate and apply knowledge from all areas of Home Economics.
- To create awareness of research for professional development.
- To prepare students for career and profession in different areas of Home Economics.
The department is equipped with the following state of the art fully air conditioned Kitchen and Labs, which are professionally designed to perform different tasks.
Food & Nutrition Lab:
The lab is equipped with state of the art kitchen and classroom. Various components of cooking, baking and hygiene studies are carried out on latest equipments. The lab is equipped with latest tools to perform various nutrition practical.
Art & Design Lab:
Drawing, Design elements, Fashion Sketching & Illustration assignments are carried out in Design Labs.
Textile & Clothing Lab:
Pattern making, Cutting, Sewing, Fabric Dyeing, Printing and Textile developments are carried out in Textile lab.
Interior Design Lab:
The lab equipped with modern facilities to exercise the technical and aesthetics concepts of Interior design.
Equipped with sophisticated computer hardware to carry-out multiple Computer Aided Design (CAD) task, including Adobe Photoshop and Corel Draw.
Program Learning Outcomes:
The main objectives of Home economics are:
- To understand and apply the practice of food hygiene, food preservation and professional cooking.
- Enhance their creativity and skills employed in meal presentation.
- To develop skills to carry out the various steps in nutrition education and counselling process.
- To develop advanced understanding of the role of nutrients in prevention of deficiency and chronic diseases.
The University welcomes applications from students who have successfully completed up to Grade 12 schooling. The more specific criteria follow
- Relevant level NTS test is also acceptable for admissions
- Applicants who have passed intermediate or equivalent examination with one or more Home Economics subjects with minimum aggregate of 45% marks.
- Applicants who have passed intermediate or equivalent examination with science subjects (pre medical & pre engineering) with a minimum aggregate of 45% marks.
- Applicants with BA in Arts or BA in Home Economics will be admitted to the 5th semester of the program.
- Applicants with AD Home Economics will be admitted to the 5th semester of the program
Note: The students fulfilling either of the above mentioned requirements will then be required to appear in a test designed by the University. The short listed candidates will be made to appear in an interview and students clearing that interview would be selected.
Total Credit Hours