The higher degrees in Islamic Studies help teachers to get selections and promotion to higher grades in their professional careers. Doctor of Philosophy in Islamic Studies is largely beneficial for nation builders in the form of teachers; working in different academic and social institutions. This is an advanced level study for Mphil degree holders, waiting for their further learning, their proficiency as professionals and their selection and promotion in the same fields. This degree will enhance the future employment opportunities of the youth, seeking jobs and will enrich the faculties of those who are already employed.
PhD in Islamic Studies is the highest research degree awarded at GIFT University. The program combines intensive and extensive studies in Islamic disciplines with a research work at an advanced level. An in-depth study of classical Muslim knowledge tradition constitutes the core of the program, but equal importance is given to modern academic trends and debates in social sciences, as well. The program ensures that students interact directly with original sources in Arabic and English. Training scholars in this way can contribute quality research to the discipline in modern perspective, which is the prime goal of this program.
- Researchers of international caliber in Islamic studies, capable of presenting Islamic ethos and philosophy in such a way that it becomes philosophy of life for common people.
- Committed and competent, broad-minded scholars having broad based study in Islamic studies, free of sectional biases and intolerant attitudes towards different schools of thought.
- Intellectual leaders who can critically evaluate the social problems and can pave ways to the better solutions, having an analytical and moderate approach to the intellectual and religious crisis.
Program Structure & Requirements for the Award of the Degree:
- Duration: 3 years, extendable to maximum 5 years
- Course Work: first 2 semesters.
- After the completion of the course work, the candidate has to go through a Candidacy Test/Comprehensive Exam before getting registered for writing PhD dissertation.
- Comprehensive examination, selection and approval of topic and synopsis: 3rd & 4th Semester, doctoral dissertation: 5th & 6th Semester, publication of one paper.
- Publication of two research papers in HEC (Recognized journals)
- Successful defense of thesis
- MPhil (with Research Work of 6 Credit Hours) in Islamic studies with a minimum of 3.0 CGPA.
- Relevant level NTS test is also acceptable for admissions.